
History
Councillor Stanislaus Kah and pharmacist Oskar Rößler were among the co-founders of the municipal history collections in 1892. From 1902 the exhibits could be made accessible to the public in a wing of the Palais Hamilton. After the Second World War, Hans Rößler, the son of Oskar Rößler, managed to have the collection placed under the protection of the French occupying authorities. After the town sold off the Palais Hamilton, the exhibits temporarily found a new home in the Neues Schloss (New Castle) in 1951. From 1981 to 2004 they were then housed in the former bathhouse inn “zum Baldreit”, before finally being put on display in the Alleehaus on the Lichtentaler Allee. The move into the Alleehaus was made possible by the Scheerer Stiftung (Scheerer Foundation), which lets the town use the building as a museum.
Literature
- Manfred Söhner Baden-Baden. Kunst und Kultur entlang der Oos Aquensis Verlag Baden-Baden 2007, ISBN 978-3-937978-10-9