 around 1830 with the [Stiftskirche](/en/bauwerke-und-orte/stiftskirche/) (collegiate church) and the Museum Paleotechnikum](/de/bilder/marktplatz1830/Marktplatz1830_hu_88655cd7566c39cf.jpg)

The Museum Paleotechnikum (also Museum Palaeotechnicum) was an antiquities hall built by Friedrich Weinbrenner in 1803–1804 on the Marktplatz to display Roman finds from the municipal area of Baden-Baden. The hall was built in the style of an ancient temple, with four tall columns at the entrance. As early as 1846, the antiquities hall was demolished again.
Inscription on the antiquities hall
The following inscription could be read on the wall of the hall[1]:
Monumenta haec qualiacunque romanae dominationis cultusve Deo Mercurio habiti passim in terris Badensibus vicinisque regionisbus detecta in memoriam gentis quondam late per orbem terrarum imperantis conquiri et in hoe Musaeo conlocari jussit Carolus Fridericus, S. R. J. Elector, Anno MDCCCIV.
In his contemporary travel guide „Baaden“, Aloys Schreiber translates it as:
These various monuments of Roman rule and of the veneration of Mercury, which were discovered one after another in and around Baaden and the neighbouring area, were placed together in this museum by Elector Carl Friedrich in memory of the people that once ruled far and wide.
Translated from the German original.